September 2, 2011

Phat Fiber Fun

So I got the August Phat fiber box (I get a contributor's box sent to me if I send in enough samples for that month) of fluff and yarn.  Well I can always find a use for the fluff but wasn't sure what to do with some of the yarn samples.  I usually knit with thicker yarn (which is why I choose to spin thicker yarn) and most of the samples are sock weight (thin) yarn.

August Phat Fiber fluff "Bollywood".
August Phat Fiber yarn "Bollywood".

I like quick projects (maybe that is why I like chunky yarn) so I decided to use a few samples and knit myself a cuff (pulse warmer).  I used a superwash yarn from Sunrise Fiber Co. (I believe it is commercial spun and hand-dyed) and some cria (baby alpaca) and llama handspun yarn from Plum Crazy Ranch and Fiber Art.

Yarn samples I used in my project.

I think I was drawn to the bright colors of both of the yarns.  Plus they were a little thicker than sock weight yarn.   Both of the yarns are soft (especially the baby alpaca & llama) and very nice to work with.  I came up with a simple pattern for a slip on cuff knit in the round on double point needles.

The Pattern:
Cast on 33 stitches (more or less depending on the size of your wrist), with yarn you would like to use for the edge.
PM
(Use seed stitch pattern)
Row1: K1, P1 until end of row
Row 2: P1, K1 until end of row
Row 3: K1, P1 until end of row
Rows 4-7: Use contrasting yarn for the middles section and knit until desired size (I knit 4 rows)
Row 8: Knit with the yarn you used for the edge
Row 9: K1, P1 until end of row
Row 10: P1, K1 until end of row
BO

This is what I got...

Cuff/pulse warmer I knit with my Phat Fiber samples.
Cuff in action.

Next one I am going to make I will cast on only 31 stitches (you need an uneven number for the seed stitch part of the pattern), since it was a bit loose.  I want pictures if you knit up a cuff of your own.  Also let me know how the pattern works out I am not a professional pattern writter by any means (I leave that up to Jessie).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for mentioning my little company (Sunrise Fiber Co.)! I'm so glad you liked the yarn and were able to actually use the sample. Love the project!

    Wren :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like what I did with your yarn sample and could take the time to visit my blog and check out the cuff I knit :)

    ReplyDelete