April 17, 2011

My Sheep Fleece

I bought a Corriedale Fleece on Wednesday from Whitefishbay Farm in Door County Wisconsin and on Friday my wonderful husband went to pick it up.  The fleece is from a sheep name Vespa and there is six pounds of fluff.  I was so excited to do something with it I watched a video on how to wash a fleece in your kitchen sink and decided to give it a try.  I ended up washing it twice with Dawn dish soap and I did a hot rinse twice.  Finally, I laid it on a screen outside to dry.  There is still a bit of lanolin on it but it didn't get felted so, I think I did pretty darn good.  Now I just have to wait for a nice sunny day to wash the rest outside.

My bag of fleece.

It is beautiful!

Washing a little bit of the wool in my kitchen sink.

Letting the freshly washed wool dry.

Unwashed wool on the left and just washed wool on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment