January 24, 2011

Made it: A Valentine's Day Card

Valentine's day is just around the corner so it is nice to get those handmade gifts going and what better then a handmade card to attach to the outside your package.  A handmade card can be like a little gift itself.  It is really easy to make a card for your loved ones.  You just need some paper and a little bit of ribbon!  Of course you can dress it up by adding more like I usually do.  I am going to show you a card that I made using some scrapbook paper, stamps, ribbon and embellishments.

Some pretty paper!

Ribbon & buttons!

I cut a piece of 8.5" by 11" pink card-stock paper in half so I have a piece that is 8.5" by 5.5".  Then I fold that in half to make a plain card.  Then I cut pieces of the scrapbook paper to fit on the outside and glued them down.

Valentine's paper on the front of the pink card-stock paper.


Then I placed a ribbon on top of the front of the card where the two scrapbook paper pieces meet (covering the line).  You could stop here for the outside of the card for something really simple.  I didn't.  I added two brads, put a string through the holes and strung a charm.  I tied the string securely in a bow.  Completing the outside of the card.

Charm attached to the card.

For the inside of the card I cut down a piece of 8.5" by 11" cream colored printer paper so it measures 8" by 5".  I folded that in half.  Now you could write on the inside of the card however you wish.  I instead I stamped and embossed it.  I took my Happy Valentine's Day stamp placed it in an embossing ink pad (which is clear) and stamped it on the inside paper.  I then covered it with embossing powder (when the ink was still wet).  I dumped the excess back into the container.  I took my heat gun on low heat and heated the embossing powder on the stamped paper to emboss Happy Valentines Day on the card.

Embossing a card.

Finally, I glued the embossed cream paper inside the decorated card.  And voila!  You have a beautiful Valentine's Day card.

A Valentine's Day card.



*Sorry for the not so pretty pictures, I took them last night when it was dark so I had to use my flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment